Saturday, May 24, 2014

Final Blog.

This year seems to have flown by in art class, but all good things must come to an end at one time or another. We had our last firing on Monday and I fired some last pieces with only an underglaze. Seeing the pieces out of the kiln really made me realize that class is over. I'm not entirely sure that we are supposed to blog this week, but I figured why not.

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." -Dr. Seuss




Best wishes,
Courtney

Friday, May 16, 2014

Final Art Project

This week in art I worked on completing my final art project. There are now cut outs on all sides of the phone box shaped piece. I also added three holes in different places. This project was another quick project to complete. I have enjoyed art this year, and I definitely enjoyed this class much more than I initially anticipated. Next week we are finishing up art food the year and will be glazing some of the last projects that I haven't glazed yet.





Best Wishes!
Courtney

Thursday, May 8, 2014

New Project

Early in the week, I peeled the leaves off of my other project as seen in my last blog and did some last minute touches. Yes, there were some things on that project that I might have liked to do differently, but I do like how it came out in the end. Later in the week I began work on a project looking similar to the one I just finished. Once again I have decided to do a project with leaf cut out shapes around the edges. The shape is different, however in that it looks a bit more like a phone box or something. I'm not entirely happy with it at the moment, but I've only just started. Next week I will continue working on the leaf shaped cut outs and overall bettering the project.




Best Wishes!
Courtney

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Finishing touches on Vessel

This past week in art, it looks like not much has changed on my project since last blog. This partly because it was a short week, but also because there wasn't much I wanted to change. I spent the time this week smoothing out the cut outs, the sides of the vessel, and making sure the leaves were firmly pressed into the sides. Maybe a little more work is needed as far as smoothing out the inside. My difficulty in that is that the inside is narrow and I have big hands....sadly that's a problem I cannot resolve by changing the size of my hands. I will see next week how much more I need to smooth the inside. 



Best wishes!
Courtney


Friday, April 25, 2014

Textured Vessel

In sculpture this week, we began work on a new project. For this project, the goal is to construct a textured vessel. We looked at many different examples to help us to come up with ideas for our design. My personal inspiration came from three different images that I saw. One picture had the tall canoe type shape. Another picture had the leafy cut outs on a lantern. The third image was a picture of a calunder dish with leaf impressions. I liked different aspects from each piece I saw so I thought to combine them into one sculpture. Below I have picured what I have so far. In only a short time, the project has come a long way. The leaves pressed into the sides will burn out when placed in the kiln due to the heat, leaving behind an impression in the clay. My piece so far pretty much lacks symmetry, but - in my opinion - that is not necessairly a negative feature. Thus far I like how the piece is turning out, and I can't want to see how it will look once the leaves burn off. Next week I will go to work smoothing out the inside and rough edges.




Best Wishes!
Courtney

Friday, April 18, 2014

Finalizing the Lantern

During art this week, the Japanese lantern project entered its ending stages. At the beginning of the week I attached the base to the house-like portion of the lantern. Following this I had to figure out how I truly wanted to finish off the piece. Because I had thought of doing shingles on the roof earlier, I decided to carve a similar pattern to that into the roof. But then I was faced with the issue of what to do on the rest of the "body" of the lantern. Since the roof is rather busy, I went with a more simplistic square design around the cut-outs, platform, and legs. I think I'm happy with how the piece turned out. Still not sure what color it will eventually end up...



Best Wishes!
Courtney

Friday, April 11, 2014

The Addition of Legs

This week in art, the Japanese Lantern project went into its final stages. Throughout the week my main focus was on the legs, while still fixing up the roof in the mean time. At first I wasn't quite certain what I wanted to do on the legs, but finally I just went for a curved yet sturdy option. I am pleased with how they look now as well as the platform that the "house" type portion will sit atop. The upper portion may or may not be directly fixated to the base to provide the ability to insert a candle inside. If the house / pagoda part does not get fixed on to the base, grooves will be added to allow the piece to sit still while on top of the base. Not one hundred percent certain on that yet, but I'm leaning more towards not having it attached to the base. Next week is the final week for this project so I will be refining the overall texture and form of the lantern as well as deciding what to do as far as attachment. 



Best Wishes!
Courtney